𝙄𝙁 𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙍

Complete details about this clause and it's uses 

​     Informal​ly, π™žπ™› π™š​π™«π™šπ™§ is used to emphasize that sth is certainly true--for emphasizing that a particular description is exactly right for sb/sth

     We use past subjunctive​ in π™žπ™› π™š​π™«π™šπ™§ -​clause to refer to counterfactual​ of the present​ condition while in the main clause​ we use indicative present​ simple to refer to present​ certain​ty of the result. 𝙄𝙛 π™š​π™«π™šπ™§- clause is another​ mixed type of condition​al sentence.


     ●​You're a fool π™žπ™› I π™šπ™«π™šπ™§ saw one.

(i.e., l've never seen any fool in my life, but if l ever saw one, surely you fit the criteria.)​   

  

     ●​You're a hero π™žπ™› there π™šπ™«π™šπ™§ was one.

(i.e., l've never seen any hero. If such a thing as a hero exists,it is certain that you a perfect exam​ple of​ that kind. Here we use either the unreal past "was" or the past subjunctive​ "were" )​

     

     ●​Tim's a born politician π™žπ™› π™š​π™«π™šπ™§ I saw one.

(i.e., I may not have seen any born politician ever in my life, including​ Tim, but if I saw any, Tim's definite​ly one--he is certainly a born politician. Tim functions​ as the perfect example​ of the thing (born politician)​ I'm describing)


     ●𝙄𝙛 π™š​π™«π™šπ™§ a school deserved this award, Westdale Primary is the one.

    (i.e., l haven't​ seen any school should​ deserve​ this award, but if ever I saw any, Westdale Primary is definite​ly one--it is the perfect example​ of the thing I'm describing)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Difference between each and every

CATENATIVE VERBS

Catenative versus modal verbs